Safety Focus of the Week – Excavation Safety
This weeks safety meeting topic is Excavation Safety. Here are the basics:
- The max allowed trench depth is 5 ft unless the sides are slope or braced per OSHA regulations.
- In general, the soil should be classified as Type C.
- Type C soil is sloped at 1.5H to 1.0V.
- Type A or B soil is to be tested and selected by a “Competent Person”.
- Means of Egress (such as a ladder) needs to be provided every 25 linear feet.
Please refer questions to Matt or Stu.