Safety Focus of the Week: Winter Driving
Winter is the most dangerous time to be on the road. I can think of many reasons why:
- Many drivers fail to adequately clean their car for good visibility.
- The roads can be many times more slippery than wet summer roads.
- The sun glare from wet roads is worse in winter.
- More hours are driven in low-light conditions.
- Heavy snow can be blinding.
- Heavy snow can build up on your tail lights and your windshield.
- Chunks of ice can fall off from trucks.
- The roads can be narrower because of snow banks.
- The roads can seem wider than they really are because the snow is pushed back too far.
As seasoned Vermont drivers, many of us know to predict and react to these conditions.
For all of us, it is necessary to be prepared for these conditions. To kick off this weeks safety focus, all ECI drivers should check the for the following in their vehicle:
- Snow brush & windshield scraper
- Full reservoir of wiper fluid and a spare jug.
- Check your wiper blades