ECI 2012 Safety Re-Focus
The purpose of the new Safety Re-Focus for 2012 (and into the future) is to reduce safety incidents, provide a safer work environment, and to reduce our workers compensation (W/C) premiums so that we can provide more competitive services to our clients. Some of our initiatives are not totally new since we have been continually evolving our safety program, particularly in the past year. This ECI 2012 Safety Re-Focus Program recognizes, formalizes, and establishes the recent evolution in our culture and management practices along with several new initiatives:
1. Better Manage Human Behavior Affect
- During a job interview, better screen for signs of potential problem behavior.
- Respond quickly and firmly to behavior problems once identified.
- Include Jobsite Behavior for safety topics throughout the year.
- Train our leaders to recognize, contain, and to better report problem behavior.
2. Further Develop the Corporate Culture Relative to Safety
- More frequently state our core mission statement and philosophy relative to safety.
- Make preplanning a core jobsite requirement.
- Continue weekly emails to develop our culture and broadcast our weekly safety focus.
3. Institute Specific Changes to PPE Requirements
- Minimum PPE on typical job sites shall now include: safety glasses and high-visibility clothing in addition to our current standard for hardhat and boots.
- Make better use of the Tailboards for selecting specific PPE to address identified risks.
- Increase the use of gloves during tasks where the worker could be cut or burned.
The Re-Focus will be implemented through our Safety Department, our Management Team, and through our email outreach to the employees. We can measure the progress through the W/C Claim & Incident Data metrics. We expect that by the end of 2012, we will see some positive effects. And, in fact, we have seen excellent results in the metrics for the first 5 months of 2012.