Safety Focus of the Week: Small Tools
Small tools are used everyday on our job sites: hilti-drills, circular saws, grinders, powder-actuated tools, small pneumatic tools, etc.
- Select the proper tool and blade (abrasive disc, etc) for the application.
- Inspect the tool before each use: look for damage, frayed power cords, sharpness/integrity of blade, and missing guards.
- Set yourself up with the proper PPE, which may include: safety glasses, hearing protection, leather gloves, face shield, etc.
- Set up your work area to support your work (vice/clamps/sawhorses, etc.).
- Verify that the power supply is protected with a ground fault circuit interrupt.
- Understand manufacturers instructions.
- Powder-actuated tools require that the user be certified.
- Remove the power supply when changing blades, abrasive tooling, belts, etc.
OSHA has a standard on small tools: OHSA Small Tools