Safety Focus of the Week: Defensive Driving
As our Code requires: “Drive safely, defensively, and courteously.”
Driving defensively generally means:
- Don’t speed
- Give yourself extra stopping distance
- Don’t be distracted (phone, beverage, radio, etc.)
- Remain patient when other drivers are driving aggressively.
The pending transition to winter conditions requires additional considerations:
- Always start by clearing the windows, windshield, headlights, turn-signals, and mirrors of snow and frost. Let the vehicle warm up adequately so that the defroster is effective. Remove excessive snow from the roof.
- Make sure all tires are adequate for the driving conditions – winter tread, all-season, studded, etc.
- Watch for travel warnings and heed to recommendations
- Remember not to pump anti-lock brakes