Safety Focus of the Week: Working with Chain Saws (Revisited)
Chain saws are a useful but potentially dangerous powertool. To stay safe, include the following in your workplan:
- Mandatory PPE for chain saw work: chaps, forestry helmut with hearing protection, steel toe boots, safety glasses, leather gloves.
- Clear your work area – Make sure there are no tripping hazards in your work area.
- Check your equipment over and verify that all safety features are in working order
- Fill with fuel & oil.
- Keep the chain sharp. Dull chains are dangerous.
- Never work alone.
- Never use a chainsaw unless you are qualified (understand chain saws and have adequate experience), especially if you are felling a tree.
- Never fell a tree unless you can positively control its fall path.