Safety Focus of the Week: Slips & Trip Hazards (Revisited)
Slip and trip hazards are often overlooked on a construction site where trench excavations, moving heavy equipment, and heavy crane lifts are often the major focus. However, while injuries from slips and trips might be far less serious (hopefully), they are far more common.
Here are some considerations:
- Site housekeeping is important.
- Dismounting of equipment:
- Dismount equipment only where steps are provided.
- Maintain 3 points of contact, just like on a ladder (facing the ladder).
- Park the equipment where ground surface is even, smooth, and away from hazards.
- Do not jump from the top of equipment tracks.
- Treat icy/slippery surfaces
- Establish walk areas on the site
- Do not walk on steep excavation slopes.
- Separate from equipment and highway traffic if possible
- Always be aware of the rail when working on the railroad (this might have come from a personal experience by the blog author)