Safety Focus of the Week: Review of ECI’s Digsafe Policy – Revisited
Over the next several weeks we will be focusing on DigSafe.
All excavations require premarking, Digsafe notification, proper excavation procedures around identified utilities, maintaining the Digsafe markings, and recalling the Digsafe after 30 days. The entire process is very involved.
The call to Digsafe is just the start to protecting underground utilities. There are multiple measures necessary both prior to excavation and as the project progresses to later phases. As we see with many safety or property damage incidents, proper planning and communication can avoid many of the pitfalls possible during excavation.
- Think before you dig. Plan out the excavation process. Are there any likely utilities that were not marked out?
- Layout the limits of excavation. Will the excavation destroy Digsafe marks? Will the waste piles cover up Digsafe marks? In these cases, the marks should be transferred to offsets.
- If the Digsafe marks are complex, then take photos for future reference.
- Is the Digsafe still in affect? Remember to renew the Digsafe every 30 days.
- Are there new utilities that may not be logged into the utilities mapping system?
- Don’t hesitate to call our safety department for help.
- Utilize our locating equipment when needed.
- Know the Digsafe Symbols
Here are the ECI Digsafe Documents
and other on-line publications: