Safety Focus of the Week: Physical Examinations & Health Assessment for Fitness for Duty
ECI is formalizing its Fitness for Duty Policy as part of ongoing updates to our Health & Safety Program Manual:
2.2 Fitness for Duty Physical Examinations & Health Assessment
The overall health and safety of all ECI employees is the priority at ECI. Physical examination and health assessments are a vital part of a preventative illness and injury measure taken to ensure a long and healthy life for ECI employees.
- Pre-Employment Physical Examination and Health Assessment – All potential employees shall receive a DOT Physical Card valid for a minimum of one year.
- Renewal of DOT Physical Card – All ECI employees will maintain a valid DOT Physical Card. The company medical provider will determine the length of the valid card per the overall health of the employee. It is the responsibility of the employee to maintain or work to a valid DOT Physical Card.
- Temporary Fitness for Duty – In certain cases a temporary fitness for duty may be issued by our medical provider in lieu of a DOT Physical Card for a defined period of time. However, operating an ECI motor vehicle or equipment is prohibited until the company medical provider issues a valid DOT Physical Card.
- Costs – ECI will cover the cost of one DOT Physical Exam annually. The employee will be responsible for additional costs related to treatment, diagnosis, evaluation, and re-examinations.
- Compliance – ECI Corporate Health and Safety will assist with scheduling, reporting DOT card to the State of Vermont, and maintaining the data base for all ECI employees.