Safety Focus of the Week: Inspection of Chains, Cables, and Slings (Revisited)
Rigging of all types shall be visually inspected by the user or designated person for each shift the rigging is to be used (per ASME B30.9, the recognized standard for rigging).
The inspector is to look for the following:
- Distorted, Damaged, or Worn Links
- Distorted, Damaged, or Worn Hooks/Rings/etc.
Wire Rope Cable:
- Crushed or Kinked
- Broken Strands
- Bird Caging
- Damaged Splices
- Burns, Melting, or Charring of any part of the sling
- Holes, Tears, Cuts, or Snags
- Broken or Worn Stitching in Load Bearing Splices
- Excessive Abrasive Wear