Safety Focus of the Week: Working Around Heavy Equipment (Revisited)
The typical rules for working around heavy equipment include:
- Be Visible! Wear hi-viz clothing and be where you are visible to the equipment operator.
- Stay out of the swing area of an excavator. Do not approach the swing area without signalling the operator of your intentions and receiving his acknowledgement.
- Watch and understand the equipment movement patterns before entering onto a job site.
As an operator:
- Always lock-out hydraulics and set parking brake before stepping out of equipment or allowing someone to approach your cab.
- Follow a predictable movement pattern (swing directions, truck turn-around pattern, etc.)
- Always check behind yourself when backing. Use your mirrors and do a visual scan.
- Never assume it is clear behind with visually confirming.
- Minimize backing movements.
- Park facing out when practical.
One great new feature in some equipment and even automobiles is a rear-view camera that engages when the vehicle is put into reverse. We can expect to see the cameras on more equipment, and trucks in the future.