Safety Focus of the Week: Rigging with a Choker Hitch
Frequently our work involves lifting materials with a choker hitch. This highly useful rigging technique should only be used under the following conditions:
- Select rigging and sling capacity for 75% of the load. This reduction factor is applicable for the standard 120 degree arrangement at the intersection of the choker legs. Further capacity reductions are required for other angles.
- Protect the sling from sharp edges.
- Provide arrangement to prevent shifting or sliding of load in the sling.
- A single leg choker is only suitable for short, simple loads.
- Consider multiple leg slings choked on both legs or a double wrap choker for better containing and stabilizing material, particularly bundles of material.
Check out this video from Crosby on Choker Hitches: