Safety Focus of the Week: Winter Driving (revisited)
Winter driving in Vermont takes skill, patience, and special precautions.
- Always start by clearing the windows, windshield, headlights, turn-signals, and mirrors of snow and frost. Let the vehicle warm up adequately so that the defroster is effective. Remove excessive snow from the roof.
- Make sure all tires are adequate for the driving conditions – winter tread, all-season, studded, etc.
- Drive defensively:
- Don’t speed
- Give yourself extra stopping distance
- Don’t be distracted (phone, beverage, radio, etc.)
- Be patient with other drivers
- Watch for travel warnings and heed to recommendations
- Remember not to pump anti-lock brakes (the younger generation may not understand what I’m talking about)
- Be wary of other drivers behaving badly.
- Plan for extra time.