Safety Focus of the Week: Revisiting Cargo Securement
This week we are re-visiting the topic of Cargo Securement, which is extremely important in protecting the traveling public.
CDL drivers moving heavy equipment and other cargo have very specific and detailed requirements which requires very specialized training.
For the rest of us, the rules can be simplified by keeping our loads simple and remembering the following:
- For each item under 1,000 lbs. should be secured by 2 ratchet straps
- 2″ wide with corner protectors
- Dump truck loads are to be covered whenever transporting fill materials on the interstate
Please coordinate with a trained professional driver if you have any questions.
The regulations are complicated, so if you don’t know the rules pertaining to securement of your load, refer to one of the following references:
- Ask the safety department, Scott, Luc, or other qualified driver, or
- Refer to the DOT Cargo Securement Regulations reference on the ECI Document Library (www.eci.pantherrack.com/employee-portal/document-library)