- Hartford Bridge Street Bridge Replacement
- AllSun Solar Tracker Installations
- CCTA Downtown Transit Center
- Renewable Energy Project – Vermont National Guard 2.2MW Solar Project
- Ryegate Culvert Design-Build Replacement Project
- East Alburgh Bridge Swing Span Automation
- Whipline Gas Bore
- Gentes Road Bridge Rehabilitation
- Renewable Energy Project – Rock of Ages 100kW Wind Turbine
- Lime Kiln Substation Retaining Wall
- North Hero-Grand Isle Draw Bridge Emergency Superstructure Repairs
- City of Burlington Municipal Paving Contract
- Interstate 91 Rutfill Project
- Pinkham Notch Conduit System
- Grade Crossing at Rte 142 Vernon
- Bellows Falls Tunnel Clearance Improvements
- Burlington Tunnel Emergency Repairs
- VELCO 115kV Underground Electric Transmission Line
- VELCO & GMP Lime Kiln Substations
- VTrans Intelligent Information System (ITS)
- Vermont State Archive Fire Water Storage System
Bellows Falls Tunnel Clearance Improvements
ECI’s Client: New England Central Railroad
Completion Date: September 2007
Subcontractors: Acme Waterproofing, Bazin Bros, Thomas Drilling & Blasting
ECI was engaged by the NECR to serve as the general contractor to lower the tunnel about 2.5 feet to allow for modified double stack container freight. The 150 year-old tunnel is 280 linear feet long and had been lowered twice previously. The work occurred during two daily work windows of 5 and 7 hours each. The track was reinstalled at the end of each work period for train traffic. Our scope of work included:
Scope of Work:
- Relocation of underground utilities
- Cutting the tracks into 13’0” jointed sections to allow for partial removal of the tracks during construction.
- Internal strengthening and repairs of the tunnel with shotcrete.
- Underpinning of the tunnel walls with soldier pile and steel lagging plates with cross struts buried below the proposed profile.
- Reconstruction of existing retaining walls with both shotcrete and traditional cast-in-place concrete.
- Drainage improvements inside of the tunnel
- Dapping of bridge timbers at the north approach to allow for a grade transition.
- Utility relocation at the Mill Street grade crossing (south end of tunnel).
- Paving and reconstruction of the grade crossing.